This wifi card is killing me …
2 years ago I’ve bought a Lenovo laptop. Ubuntu got installed smoothly on it. The only problem was the wifi. It was constantly being disconnected. That’s when I discovered my new laptop had this disease, it has the RTL8723BE Wireless Network Adapter.
After some research on internet I found that adding a configuration file for the dedicated kernel module would solve the problem.
echo "options rtl8723be fwlps=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
The wifi was running without any problem. Happy ending, I was glad with my Ubuntu laptop running nicely.
1 week ago, wanting to put my hands on a new piece of hardware, I’ve acquired a HP something laptop. The thing I’m interested in with this laptop is that it has 4 cores. This will allow me to do some benchmarking using some Elixir code. So I’ve done another smooth installation of Xubuntu. (yes I’ve switched in between to XFCE which is light, simple and so nice. After Unity and Gnome 3, XFCE is way more fun and fast). I was glad again but suddenly the wifi stopped. I checked the hardware and discovered this laptop also have the RTL8723BE Wireless Network Adapter. I was really pissed off. I was really close to throw the laptop by the window and buy a Macbook Pro. But searching again on Google, I found a project (https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new) developing alternative drivers for these kind of wifi cards. So I’ve decided to give it a try like the last trial.
git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git cd rtlwifi_new make all sudo make install sudo modprobe rtl8723be
Yes! Finally it was working again. But the downloading rate was not crazy. So I did some tweaking adding options to the config.
options rtl8723be fwlps=0 ant_sel=2 | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
The option `ant_sel=2` makes all the difference. Funny thing is the dl rate is higher than on my previous laptop. So like good Disney cartoons, everything ends well.